Pregnancy hormones can bring on an onslaught of skin issues, including oily skin and acne. Even Mamas who've always had clear skin may fall victim to a volcano or two on her face. The good news is that pregnancy acne tends to subside once baby is born.
In the meantime, however, finding a pregnancy safe acne treatment can be rather tricky. Traditional blemish fighters, like salicylic acid, isotretinoin or beta hydroxy acids are big no-nos during pregnancy, since they may cause serious birth defects in high doses.
So what's a Mama to do? We advise using a daily pregnancy safe acne treatment made with gentle ingredients, paired with a weekly mask like this one.
This Oatmeal, Tea Tree & Honey Mask for Pregnancy Acne has great benefits, including:
- reducing inflammation and redness
- gentle exfoliation, perfect for irritated skin
- antibacterial and antioxidant properties from honey helps kill bacteria and protect skin from infection
- tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and helps tone
- leaves surface irresistibly soft
- perfect for sensitive skin, blackheads and pregnancy acne
Time for the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, finely grounded into a flour-like texture
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey (manuka is recommended)
- 4 drops of tea tree oil (optional)
Add ingredients together in a clean mixing bowl. With a spoon or fork, mix ingredients until a thick paste is formed. Apply to face and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse, and continue with your regular three-step skin routine (cleanse, tone and moisturizer).
For best results, choose a pregnancy safe acne toner and follow with a pregnancy acne cream made from toxin-free ingredients. If you have leftovers, mask can be refrigerated and re-hydrated with warm water.