We've really outdone ourselves this year. After a bit of brainstorming, we've figured out the ULTIMATE Valentine's Day gift for the pregnant or postpartum Mama (or really, almost any romantic partner) in your life.
It's so simple, that it's going to be a little anticlimactic (sorry). However, it's so easy, that anyone can do it with a little effort and planning (not sorry).
But first, a little back story...
Have you heard of the five love languages? If you haven't, we're about to change your personal life and how you look at all your relationships -- romantic or not.
The theory between the love languages was introduced by writer Gary D. Chapman in his 1995 book "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate"; however, the idea has been gaining increasing popularity in the past couple years thanks to the Internet, and entertaining quizzes like these from Buzzfeed.
Chapman's theory is that everyone expresses love differently. And when couples (or even friends) don't reciprocate or acknowledge their partner's love language, frustration or dissatisfaction can seep in. There are five love languages, which can be broken down like this:
Words of Affirmation: Expressing affection through spoken affection, praise or appreciation.
Acts of Service: Actions, rather than words, are used to show and receive love.
Receiving Gifts: Gifting is symbolic of love and affection.
Quality Time: Expressing affection with undivided, undistracted attention.
Physical Touch: It can mean sex, or simply holding hands. With this love language, the speaker feels affection through physical touch.
Keep in mind we often speak a combo of these languages, and to create greater intimacy in every relationship, we should be aware of how others express their affection.
So let's get on with it. What is the ULTIMATE V-Day gift idea your new mom will absolutely love?
Answer: a massage. Set up by you, done by you. For at least 45 minutes, or even 90 minutes if you're a champ. We know it sounds a cliche, but hear us out.
This is why it works: a sensual, at-home massage actually hits 5 of the 5 love languages, which makes it a total home-run in the gift arena.
1) Quality time: If your new Mama values quality time, a quiet and relaxing spa atmosphere will give your partner undivided attention. If baby's already arrived, she will especially enjoy this alone-time with you. Put on some atmospheric music, and take some time to reconnect as two people (and not just parents).
2) Receiving gifts: You know how they say it's the thought that counts? If your lady loves gifts, giving her a massage shows you're sympathetic to mom's needs as pregnancy can be very straining on her body and mind. You'll earn points for being thoughtful and sensitive to her needs.
3) Acts of service: If your Mama appreciates acts of service, there is probably nothing more meaningful than making her feel like a queen with a quality massage. You're making time to give her a bit of yourself, instead of simply buying her roses or chocolates for V-Day.
4) Words of affirmation: If your partner blushes every time you pay her a compliment, this is the perfect opportunity to make her feel beautiful and loved. Especially during pregnancy and after giving birth, women appreciate kind words that affirm you still think she's all that and a bag of chips. As you massage her, you can pay her compliments on her body or thank her being such a friggin' awesome mom.
5) Physical touch: This one is obvious. If your expecting or new Mama values physical touch, this is a hands-on gift that fulfills her emotional need for touch (sexual or not!).
Your V-Day game plan:
To pull this off, we recommend setting an entire afternoon or evening aside where you can both relax and be alone. To set your "spa" set up, get plenty of clean sheets and towels, and include some nice touches like candles and soothing music.
We highly recommend partners use toxin-free skincare, made with organic ingredients for the safety of mom & baby. This is especially important if she is pregnant or breastfeeding. The Spoiled Mama's Bump Gloss is the perfect, relaxing lavender oil to get the job done. With more than 10 cold-pressed oils, the pregnancy stretch mark oil
glides on easily and delivers essential vitamins to her skin. Follow up with our belly butter
all over to leave her skin feeling irresistibly soft.
To get Mama's muscles relaxed, you can have her take a warm bath or shower beforehand, or clean her mind with a hot cup of tea as you set up her surprise.
The key to a great massage is listening to your partner's needs and asking lots of questions ("Is the pressure OK? Where are you most sore?"), so don't be shy! Be sure to be gentle, particularly if she's expecting, and keep the Bump Gloss flowin'!
What's YOUR love language? How do you plan to pamper yourself (or your loved one) this Valentine's Day? Share your thoughts below!