That's why we want to share one of our favorite natural, home remedies for dry lips: a DIY lip scrub! Sugar scrubs are our fave surface exfoliant, because it draws moisture from the air and is a natural alpha hydroxy acid. With its gentle nature, it's perfect for sensitive body parts like your lips.
Here is a basic DIY lip scrub formula you can customize to pouty perfection.
Basic DIY Lip Scrub
- 1 tablespoon sugar, organic preferred (white or brown sugar OK)
- olive oil, coconut oil or honey
- a small, clean container (preferably with an airtight lid)
In a small bowl, slowly add enough oil or honey and mix. Add just enough oil or honey to create a thick slurry. Transfer mix into your small container.
Once a week, rub the polish onto your lips in small circles. Allow the sugar scrub to sit on your lips for one minute, and wipe with a damp cloth.
Now here's the fun part! The best part about DIY lip scrubs (and all homemade beauty concoctions) is customizing the recipe to your liking. Here are some alternatives that you can add to your scrub:
- Honey is a wonderful moisturizer that has antibacterial properties, which is perfect for keeping germs away from your lips. To receive honey's full benefits, opt for organic, raw honey.
- Coconut oil is another natural moisturizer that smells delicious and holds in moisture with its fatty acids.
- Olive oil is readily available in most households, and is a popular ingredient in many nourishing cosmetic lip products. Choose organic extra virgin olive oil to take full advantage of its healing antioxidants.
- Almond oil is a natural lubricant that helps rejuvenate lips and prevent chapped lips with vitamins B2 and E.
- Add essential oils* to your mix for their therapeutic properties (our fave is peppermint!).
Remember, use this lip treatment once a week for noticeably softer lips.
Does the rest of your body need lovin' too? Try The Spoiled Mama's sugar scrub for stretch marks for the ULTIMATE delight. With organic sugar in a blend of cold-pressed oils, this body polish will banish any dryness and leave skin dewy and g-l-o-w-i-n-g.
Have you tried a DIY lip scrub? What ingredients did you use? Share below!
If pregnant, please consult with your doctor before using essential oils.